Cyber security companies like to throw around numbers: such as these stats from IBM and Verizon:
- 66% of the breaches took months or more to discover
- Approximately 70% of the breaches were discovered by external parties
- 37% of breaches occurring between 2012 and 2013 affected financial organizations
- 92% of organizational breaches were perpetrated by outsiders
- 78% of intrusions were rated as “low difficulty”
- 25% of breaches involved multiple methods of attack
But what do these numbers really mean for your business? CIOs, CFOs and other business managers may gloss over these statistics thinking the numbers do not apply to them or think the numbers are just scare tactics. Understanding how these numbers apply to your business is a key component for understanding how to prevent your business from becoming another statistic.
Here is another way to look at the numbers:
- 66% of the breaches took months or more to discover — If your business employes professional security services such as vulnerability scans or penetration testing then it would NOT take months to discover and much less damage will be done. Or better yet, breaches will be caught and stopped before it disrupts your business.
- Approximately 70% of the breaches were discovered by external parties — In-house IT typically has broad or basic technology experience, or is focused on essential network administration, and doesn’t usually have the security expertise or time to uncover sophisticated hacker attacks. Work with a technology cyber security professional to stop cyber attack from completely damaging your network and your reputation. This frees up your in-house IT team to deal with strategic initiatives or day-to-day operations issues.
- 37% of breaches occurring between 2012 and 2013 affected financial organizations — Financial firms are an attractive target and cyber security insurance is only useful AFTER the damage has been done. ACE IT Solutions’ security services help prevent and discover breaches BEFORE damage is done to shareholders stocks and the fund’s reputation
- 25% of breaches involved multiple methods of attack — ACE IT Solutions’ security services, delivered in partnership with IBM, are informed by the IBM X-Force, leaders in security data. This means we know what types of cyber attacks are happening and our services are developed to address the biggest threats to your business.
- 78% of intrusions were rated as “low difficulty” — It should not be this easy for hackers to attack your network. ACE IT Solutions security services are cost-effective and can be customized to meet the needs of any size and type of business.
ACE IT Solutions’ Managed Security Services, offered in partnership with IBM, provide a simple and cost-effective way to limit potential threats 24×7. Through our partnership with IBM, ACE IT Solutions leverages one of the world’s largest collections of security information to combine advanced analytic capabilities into cloud-based security services that can be mixed and matched according to specific needs.
When you partner with ACE IT Solutions and IBM for all your managed security needs, you are accessing the full depth and breadth of IBM‘s expertise. Contact us at or 646.558-5575 for more details and pricing.