British Airways’ massive technology outage that occurred over Memorial Day weekend is said to cost the airline $68 million and stranded over 75,000 people. The outage involved a power surge on Saturday morning that hit the airline’s flight, baggage and communication systems and left the airline scrambling to bring systems back online and appease frustrated customers.
British Airways is not the only airline to be hit by technical problems in the past year. Delta Air Lines canceled thousands of flights and delayed many others last August after an outage hit its computer systems. Germany’s Lufthansa and Air France suffered a global system outage which briefly prevented them from boarding passengers.
No matter the size of your business, a disruption will have a large impact — to both your reputation and your bottom line. Taking the extra steps to ensure the proper technology is in place can help businesses avoid these types of disruptions.
Whenever large technical outages like this occur, smart business learn from others’ mistakes. Here are our takeaways:
- Work with a reliable and responsive IT partner – When things go wrong, you want a smart partner on your side that will work endlessly to fix the issue.
- Data center with built in resilience – Surge protection must be built into the data center, as well as a UPS (uninterruptible power system). ACE IT Solutions offers best-of breed data centers that provide the highest-level of quality, reliability and security.
- Have backup in place – Whether it is offsite data back up or failover, you must have backup in place
- Testing backups – Backups are no good if they don’t work when you need them.
- Have a plan – Outages can be dealt with much quicker when everyone knows what to expect and knows their roles in keeping the systems up and running
- Monitor 24×7 – ACE IT Solutions comprehensive managed services program offer the peace of mind of knowing that your network is being monitored 24×7, that issues will be identified and remediated before they become major problems, and that we are there for you anytime problems may arise, no matter how big or small.
- Update your infrastructure – The airline industry is notorious for running outdated infrastructures. This makes them an easy target for hackers. Update your systems and infrastructure to keep up with today’s threats and avoid system outages.
Contact ACE IT Solutions at 646.558.5575 to learn how we can help you keep your systems up and running 24×7.